Student Paper Competitions
Submission Deadline: 24 February, 2020
Submissions are open for the Annual Joseph A. Hartman Student Paper Competition and the new Jody Endres Student Paper Competition.
These competitions seek to capture the very best ideas concerning the reduction of aviation noise and emission, alternative jet fuel production and use, aviation operations, and more.
These competitions are open to undergraduate and graduate students. A committee of ASCENT professionals selected the winners for each competition. Authors of the winning papers received a $2,500 cash prize.
Joseph A. Hartman Competition
Previously funded by the Partnership for Air Transportation Noise and Emissions Reduction, the Joseph A. Hartman competition seeks submissions of papers describing research in:
- Aircraft Noise and Impacts
- Aviation Emissions and Impacts
- Aircraft Technology Assessment
- Environmentally and Energy Efficient Gate-to-Gate Aircraft Operations
- Aviation Modeling and Analysis
The Joseph A. Hartman Student Paper Competition is named in memory of Professor Joseph A. Hartman of Boise State University, a founding PARTNER member and lead investigator, who passed away in 2004.
- Spatial and Temporal Patterns of Ambient Ultrafine Particulate Matter (UFP) in Communities along an Arrival Aircraft Pathway
- Author: Chloe Kim, Boston University School of Public Health
- Advisors: Jonathan Levy, ScD and Kevin Lane, Ph.D., Boston University School of Public Health
- Calculating Second Order Sensitivity Coefficients for Airport Emissions in the Continental U.S. Using CMAQ-HDDM
- Author: Calvin A. Arter, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Advisor: Saravanan Arunchalam, Ph.D., University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
- Aviation Black Carbon Mass Predictive Model for Alternative and Conventional Fuels at Ground and Cruise
- Author: Joseph P. Abrahamson, Pennsylvania State University
- Advisor: Randy L. Vander Wall, Pennsylvania State University
Jody Endres Competition
Founded by ASCENT, the Jody Endres competition seeks submissions of papers describing research in:
- Feedstock Development, Processing and Conversion Research
- Regional Supply and Refining Infrastructure
- Environmental Benefits Analysis
- Aircraft Component Deterioration and Wear Assessment
- Fuel Performance Testing
The Jody Endres Student Paper Competition is named in memory of Professor Jody Endres of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, a member of ASCENT and project lead investigator.
- Jet Fuel Chemical Kinetics: Shock Tubes, Laser Diagnostics, and Machine Learning Methods
- Author: Nicolas Pinkowski, Stanford University
- Advisors: David Davidson and Ronald Hanson, Stanford University
- The Costs of Production of Alternative Jet Fuel: A Harmonized Stochastic Assessment
- Author: Seamus J. Bann, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Advisors: Steven Barrett and Robert Malina, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
A panel comprising experts associated with the ASCENT Center of Excellence will judge papers for both competitions.
For more information on both competitions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.