This project uses computer models to simulate the short- and long-term evolution of aircraft exhaust aerosol and contrail particles and gases. Researchers are using data from NASA’S Alternative Fuel Effects on Contrails and Cruise Emissions (ACCESS 2) field experiment to initialize the model and compare its results to the outcomes of real-world tests, including national and international emissions data. The experiment is designed to measure exhaust composition and contrail characteristics, as aircraft burn different types of fuel with varied engine thrust settings.
- Outstanding presentation award for the poster, “Quantifying the Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Aircraft Emissions in the Upper Troposphere/Lower Stratosphere,” Cameron, M.A., M.Z. Jacobson, and S.K. Lele, at the Opportunity Job Fair Reception at Stanford University, January 23, 2015.
- Outstanding poster award, student poster competition at the MSAT workshop, “Quantifying the Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Aircraft Emissions in the Upper Troposphere/Lower Stratosphere,” Cameron, M.A., M.Z. Jacobson, and S.K. Lele, February 19, 2015.
Conference Presentations 2015
- Cameron, M.A., M.Z. Jacobson, and S.K. Lele, Quantifying the spatial and temporal distribution of aircraft emissions in the upper troposphere/lower stratosphere, 2015 CRC mobile-source air toxics workshop, Sacramento, California, Feb. 17-19, 2015.
- Cameron, M.A., M.Z. Jacobson, S. R. H. Barrett, H. Bian, C.-C. Chen, S. D. Eastham, A. Gettelman, A. Khodayari, Q. Liang, D. Phoenix, H. B. Selkirk, N. Unger, D. J. Wuebbles, X. Yue, An intercomparative study of the effects of aircraft on surface air quality, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California, December 14-18, 2015.
- Inamdar, A.R., M.A. Cameron, S.K. Lele, and M.Z. Jacobson, Reduced order ODE model for linear contrails, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California, December 14-18, 2015.
Last Updated 3/31/2020
- An Intercomparative Study of the Effects of Aircraft Emissions on Surface Air Quality
- The Evaluation and Development of Techniques Used to Model the Effects of Aircraft Emissions on Climate and Air Pollution
- Reduced Order ODE Model for Linear Contrails
- An Inter-comparative Study of the Effects of Aircraft on Surface Air Quality
- Effects of Plume-scale Versus Grid-scale Treatment of Aircraft Exhaust Photochemistry
- A Probabilistic Ice Habit Model for LES of Contrails
- The Effects of Rerouting Aircraft Around the Arctic Circle on Arctic and Global Climate