This project team is evaluating regional supply chains that could be used for alternative jet fuel production including feedstock production, transportation, and fuel conversion. Researchers are evaluating fuel production pathways, feedstock and infrastructure requirements, and commercial fuel demand to create scenarios for future production. In addition, they are identifying potential intermediate materials and co-products for each pathway to understand potential ways to aid in making biorefineries more economical.
Researchers are approaching sustainable jet fuel production holistically, considering technological, environmental, economic, and social elements. The project aims to use these analyses to identify key barriers throughout the alternative jet fuel supply chain that must be overcome to produce and effectively market 1 billion gallons of alternative jet fuel in the near term and 10 billion gallons in the longer term.
This project is also supporting the efforts of the Alternative Fuel Task Force (AFTF) within the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP) in their efforts to evaluate the potential of alternative jet fuels to help meet aviation environmental goals and to assess the life cycle CO2 emissions from the use of these fuels.
- Using dynamic relative climate impact curves to quantify the climate impact of bioenergy production systems over time
- Life Cycle Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Costs of Production of Diesel and Jet Fuel from Municipal Solid Waste
- Quantifying Breakeven Price Distributions in Stochastic Techno-Economic Analysis — A Case of Cellulosic Biofuel Production from Fast Pyrolysis and Hydroprocessing Pathway
- A Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis Approach to Facility Siting in a Wood-Based Depot-and-Biorefinery Supply Chain Model
- The Alcohol‐to‐Jet Conversion Pathway for Drop‐In Biofuels: Techno‐Economic Evaluation
- Aviation CO2 emission reductions from the use of alternative jet fuels
- An Exploration of Agricultural Land use Change at the Intensive and Extensive Margins: Implications for Biofuels Induced Land Use Change
- Communities Ready for Takeoff: Integrating Social Assets for Biofuel Site-selection Modeling
- Bioenergy and its use to mitigate the climate impact of aviation
- Scenario based lifecycle analysis of greenhouse gas emissions from petroleum-derived transportation fuels in 2050
- Stochastic techno-economic analysis of alcohol-to-jet fuel production
- The costs of production of alternative jet fuel: A harmonized stochastic assessment
- Environmental and economic assessment of transportation fuels from municipal solid waste
- Stochastic techno-economic evaluation of cellulosic biofuel pathways
- Quantifying breakeven price distributions in stochastic techno-economic analysis
- Drivers and Barriers to the Adoption and Diffusion of Sustainable Jet Fuel (SFJ) in the U.S. Pacific Northwest
- Biorefinery Site Selection Using a Stepwise Biogeophysical and Social Analysis Approach
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Bioenergy
Last Updated: 07/03/2018